Serious Mental Health (& Me)
- Serious Mental Health is a blog that champions the voice, choice, dignity, and rights of people who are disadvantaged, particularly due to health and/or housing status.
- My name is Zoë. I blog about subjects I care about. I volunteer for a local charity, supporting people with complex mental health needs to tackle benefits, money, and housing issues, all of which can have a huge impact on quality of life.
- I have a degree in sociology, and I have experience of working in prisons, with young people in local authority care, and with rough sleepers.
- Working with people who are disadvantaged due to health or housing status matters so much to me because I have lived experience of homelessness and mental & physical ill-health. I have first-hand understanding of what it is like to be disadvantaged and caught up in the processes of slow, bureaucratic & impersonal public services. I know what it is like to feel as if you have no power and no voice.
- I believe in better, more compassionate services for disadvantaged people. I believe in the importance of the user voice.